Buyers in the New Braunfels Market are searching high and low for homes. Even though there is low housing inventory, as we’re approaching the New Braunfels spring selling season, it’s still more important than ever to strategically and thoughtfully position your house to sell before you put it on the market. After all, you want to make sure you attract the best of the best buyers who will make the best of the best offers. Small improvements shouldn’t be expensive, and they will be a huge pay off when it comes time to sell.
Here’s a list of the best things you can do to prepare your home for the New Braunfels spring selling season:
1. Put some elbow grease into it
You want your house to compete with model homes and, let’s be honest, there’s plenty of them and they are your competition. Think about how you feel when you stay at a beautiful boutique hotel. That’s how a buyer expects to feel! Taking the time to do a deep cleaning on your home will pay off during the New Braunfels spring selling season (bonus: your house will feel like a resort and you’ll ask yourself why you didn’t do it sooner.)
Don’t miss these things that buyers notice immediately:
- Clean your windows and screens.
- Touch up your paint.
- Clean or apply new grout around your bath tub, shower, backsplash and ceramic tile.
- Clean those carpets or consider getting new flooring. We have great resources for flooring wholesalers on the cheap!
- Replace your A/C filters. One of the top inspection issues is a dirty A/C…get the coils cleaned and replace filters before it’s an issue. You can usually do this yourself upfront and avoid paying $200 for HVAC service when your buyer requests it as the result of an inspection.
2. Add “Honey-Stop-The-Car” Curb Appeal
I recently taught a class to brand new New Braunfels Realtors® and across the board, these agents said when they were house hunting, if a home didn’t have great curb appeal, they didn’t want to visit the inside. This is the first impression potential buyers will get, so make it look beautiful and low maintenace.
- Mow and trim the lawn and have it maintained every other week.
- Water your lawn on the days allowed to get it nice and green (your buyers will want the sprinkler system in working condition, so check that, too).
- Plant some new (native) plants.
- Trim bushes and trees. Branches should be trimmed back 3 to 6 feet from your roof. Bushes shouldn’t touch the house as this is a potential haven for termites and will be flagged on an inspection or appraisal.
- Lay down some fresh mulch. We think black mulch makes photos pop!
- Replace the welcome mat. Make it fun… i.e. “Hi, I’m Mat.”
- Paint the front door a bright color. We love turqouise, yellow, red and navy!
- Paint or replace the mailbox if its been overused and abused.
- Add new address numbers.
- Don’t forget about the backyard! Tidy it up, powerwash the deck or patio and paint the patio furniture, if needed.
3. Start packing.
You’re going to move anyway, so now is the time to pack away non-essential, everyday items and fill those moving boxes.
- Pack your winter clothes away so closets have more space. Let’s be honest, you only need those two weeks out of the year in New Braunfels, anyway!
- Sell or donate any furniture that you don’t want to move.
- Pack away valuables or family heirlooms. You won’t want these out during showings. They need to be packed away securely so they are safe.
- Stage shelves, closets and cabinets. Buyers do open these!
- Get the children on board. It will be so much easier to pack away toys and their beloved items if you get them in on the decision making process and allow them to help you.
4. Add some exciting color to your life:
I like to ask myself, “What would Joanna Gaines do?” Think neutral base with 1-3 pops of color throughout.
- Buy new bedding, pillows and area rugs that you will enjoy in your new house too. Don’t be afraid to add bold stripes or a fun pattern.
- Replace heavy drapes with light curtains or roman shades.
- Give new life to an old piece of furniture with a fun paint color and bring in fun accessories and unique art. Not bad art. Friends don’t let friends buy bad art. Sorry not sorry.
- Add fluffy white towels, fresh shower curtains and liners and plush bath rugs. Remeber that boutique hotel feel?!?
5. Knock out that Honey-Do List:
- Check for leaky faucets and pipes.
- Tighten doorknobs, hinges and hand rails.
- Change burnt-out light bulbs. Call me a perfectionist…I also like to see the same type of bulbs throughout the house (think soft, warm, natural).
- Repair or replace torn window screens.
- Clean your gutters.
One last tip…Don’t hike up the sale price when you list.
I’ve said it before and will say it again…the market always determines the price. Statistically, if you price your home for what it’s actually worth, you will attract more buyers through the door, which increases the speed at which you’ll sell and the offer amounts. With 90% of the Laurie Jarrett Group listings going into multiple offer situations, especially during the New Braunfels spring selling season, our average listing sells for 101.5% of the asking price. Talk about ROI and sweat equity!
Call Laurie Jarrett at (830) 515-0728 to talk about your unique situation and see if we’re the right fit to sell your house.